In line with ICAO language proficiency requirements for Aviation Personnel to achieve level 4 or above, Anglo-Continental provides courses to assist those concerned in the attainment of this essential qualification.
Our Teaching Methodology Course for Aviation English Teachers provides vital training for English language teachers with the latest methodology for teaching Aviation English in the context of ICAO standards, along with personal aviation language development which results from working with expert teacher trainers.
The objective of the training is to develop the course participants’ knowledge of Aviation English and English Language teaching skills within an aviation context, including a practical review of current methodology and classroom practice. Although an aviation background is an advantage, the course is designed to enable English language teachers who have little or no prior knowledge of aviation to teach Aviation English to Aviation Personnel. As all lessons have an aviation context, every part of the course contributes towards expanding the trainees’ Aviation English knowledge.
| Course number: ||TAE-30
|Entry Level:||Upper Intermediate
| Lessons per week (45 minutes):||30
15 lessons of Aviation English Teaching Methodology
15 lessons of Aviation English
|Guided Private Study - Optional (sessions per week):||5
|Class Size:||Maximum 12
| Minimum age: || 21
|Course Duration:||1 week
|Sample Timetable:||View sample timetable
15 lessons: Aviation English teaching methodology
The following areas will normally be covered:
- Task design
- Phonology – issues of international comprehensibility. Discrimination and production.
- Listening skills – for gist, specific information and inference.
- Teaching to the ICAO descriptors.
- Assessing a trainee’s level regarding the ICAO descriptors.
- Plain English for Pilots and Air Traffic Controllers.
- Sourcing, creating and exploiting appropriate teaching materials.
- Using aviation DVD materials for comprehension and language skills development.
- Testing progress and achievement.
- Teaching functional language, appropriate to ICAO doc 9835.
15 lessons: Aviation English
These lessons are adapted to meet the trainees’ specific requirements and cover areas such as:
- Aircraft structures and systems.
- Aviation and airport organisation.
- Flight operations and flight safety.
- ATC organisation an control of airspace.
- En-route, aerodrome and approach control.
- ICO R/T phraseology and procedures.
- Standard and non-standard phraseology.
- Incidents and accidents.
There will be an initial group needs analysis at the beginning of each course. Sessions will be planned accordingly, also taking into account participants’ methodological awareness and aviation background.
Trainees have guided private study sessions. Tasks set may include pre-session preparation, follow-up work and research assignments. We also recommend that some time should be devoted to additional study in the Multi-Media Learning Centre. An extensive selection of computer programs, audio, DVD and reference material is available for private use.
- March: 13
- June: 12
- October: 16
Additional entry dates can be arranged for groups.
Course fees 2017
1 week: £ 615
Standard homestay accommodation fees 2017 (Single room)
1 week: £ 180