History of Anglo-Continental

In 1950 Fritz Schillig opened Anglo Swiss in Christchurch.  With 80 Swiss Francs lent to him by his father the money was used to advertise for students in Switzerland – his father never expected to have the loan re-paid.  He also borrowed five tables and chairs and a blackboard from Holy Trinity Church Hall, which he was later able to return, in order to launch the new language school.

Anglo Swiss expanded rapidly and the school moved to its current site in Wimborne Road in 1955.  Students were soon coming from other European countries and so the name was changed to Anglo-Continental. The school has grown to become one of the largest English language schools in the UK, having taught over 400,000 students from 120 different countries.