Anglo-Continental will be celebrating an important anniversary in 2020: 70 years since the school opened its doors to welcome the first students on 7th August, 1950.
History of Anglo-Continental Educational Group
Fritz Schillig travelled from his native Switzerland to open Anglo-Continental with SFR 80 borrowed from his father, a sum soon repaid. The school was originally called Anglo-Swiss and located in three rooms above a restaurant in Christchurch, with chairs, tables and a blackboard borrowed from a local school.
The rapid success of the school and the demand for good English language tuition meant that expansion was rapid and new premises had to be found. The school moved to its present premises in Wimborne Road, Bournemouth in 1955. With students enrolling from all over continental Europe, the name of the school was changed to Anglo-Continental to reflect the increasing population of students from all around the globe. Today, Anglo-Continental is one of the largest English language schools in the UK and has taught English to over 400,000 students from 120 different countries. The school continues to prosper and remains very much a family affair under the careful management of Fritz Schillig’s son, Guido Schillig.
Statement from the Board of Directors:
We are honoured to continue the legacy of Fritz Schillig and take our family run school into the next decade. The Anglo-Continental Educational Group has been running successfully for 70 years and it has been through the support of our students, staff and agents that we have been able to achieve the excellent service, teaching, training and testing for which we have become renowned.
Guido Schillig, Managing Director and Jane Gorman, Director.